Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is it safe to take flax seed oil capsules or spoon full of flax seed oil during pregnancy?

Hi there - flax, like soy, contains phytoestrogens - compounds which mimic the estrogen our bodies naturally produce. I'm pasting some info below I found on the website www.flaxheath.com:





Should I Eat Flax During Pregnancy?


Flax seed is a phytoestrogen, which is a plant estrogen.





Pregnant mothers and their children are especially sensitive to hormones. Human studies have not been done on the effect of flax and pregnancy, however animal studies have been completed. High estrogen levels are needed by the mother to prepare the uterus for the growing fetus, on the other hand, too much estrogen given to pregnant animals can reduce litter size and the birth weight of the offspring. Therefore, until human studies have been completed, I would advise to refrain from eating flax when pregnant.





Congratulations on your pregnancy!Is it safe to take flax seed oil capsules or spoon full of flax seed oil during pregnancy?
Flax seed has been eaten for thousands of years by men, women and children. It's been used in breads, cereals (ie morning porridge). I see no problem whatsoever with eating either the seed or the oil as long as you're not drinking the oil by the cup or glass. ANY fat or oil is going to affect your hormonal balance. Hormones are stored in fat cells. Flax seed is a very high source of Vit E and essential fatty acids. It also has a strong anti-inflammatory and loosening effect, as does evening primrose oil, which was prescibed for me by the handful by my midwife when I was pregnant. I will do more research (as should you) about flax and get back to you as soon as I can.





I will also say this to you: If you are TRULY worried about your health and that of your unborn child, GET A MIDWIFE and stay as far away from doctors and hospitals, especially if this is your first child as you possibly can. Read Silent Knife if you have any questions about why. I would also be as sceptical as hell of any Ob/Gyn that told me I needed to be induced. It often doesn't work if your cervix isn't ripe, and it hurts like hell. It is also one of the most overused medical procedures. You'll go when you're ready. I have really found that some (many) (MOST?) OB's trade on first time mom's not educating themselves, not being able to really advocate well for themselves, and women in general not functioning well as their own support and advocates when they're pregnant. From this comes needless interventions and birth structured the way doctors need it to be, not moms and babies. The strongest, most powerful, most effective thing you can do is to READ YOUR *** OFF, and to find out what your OB's section rate is. If it's above 20%, find someone else to help you and run like hell to your nearest birth center, if you can.Is it safe to take flax seed oil capsules or spoon full of flax seed oil during pregnancy?
It should be safe, since there is no warning on it against taking it during pregnancy.... but a doctor that knows about supplements would be the best one to ask just to be on the safe side.


Personally, I doubt it would do any harm
I've heard that its actually not that safe to take flax seed anytime during pregnancy


read some of these:

No comments:

Post a Comment